What kind of exam is it?
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) recognizes the ability to deal with reading, speaking, listening to and writing American English at advanced level.
What level do I need to be?
- Upper Intermediate
What does the exam consist of?
- Reading: The reading section consists of 3-5 long passages and questions about the passages. The passages are on academic topics; they are the kind of material that might be found in an undergraduate university textbook. Students answer questions about main ideas, details, inferences, sentence restatements, sentence insertion, vocabulary, function and overall ideas. New types of questions in the iBT require paraphrasing, filling out tables, or completing summaries. Generally prior knowledge of the subject under discussion is not necessary to come to the correct answer.
- Listening: The listening section consists of six long passages and questions about the passages. The passages consist of two student conversations and four academic lectures or discussions. The questions ask the students to determine main ideas, details, function, stance, inferences, and overall organization.
- Speaking: The speaking section consists of four tasks, one independent tasks and three integrated tasks. In the independent task, students must answer a question about their opinion. In two integrated reading, listening, and speaking tasks, students must read a passage, listen to a passage, and speak about how the ideas in the two passages are related. In the last integrated listening and speaking tasks, students must listen to long passages and then summarize and offer opinions on the information in the passages. Test takers are expected to convey information, explain ideas, and defend opinions clearly, coherently, and accurately.
- Writing: The writing section consists of two tasks, one integrated task and one independent task. In the integrated task, students must read an academic passage, listen to an academic passage, and write about how the ideas in the two passages are related. In the independent task, students must write a personal essay.
Internet Based Test
3 passages and 39 questions
6 passages and 34 questions
6 tasks and 6 questions
2 tasks and 2 questions
At IH Chiang Mai, our experienced team of teachers can help you to improve your TOEFL score with a personalized course that suits your particular needs and goals.
For more information about the test, please visit the exam homepage.
To find out how IH Chiang Mai can help you to prepare for the TOEFL exam, please contact us today at email@example.com for a free consultation.